CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 30, 2008

HELP!

It's the end of the school year here, and ohhh, that's always an adventure!  I have been trying to get the house ready for the onslaught of kiddos here 24/7.  I like to go into summer pretty organized so that I can be frustrated by the end of day two with the mess the place has become.  

This week, I did a quick project to get the stairs looking less disgustingly grimey.  I painted the bottom half of the stairs (where little hands most frequently go) a dark color so that it hides more grime and is more wipe-able. It was a quick easy project, provided you have a laser level.







I still need to remove the  carpet and finish putting up some more (new) pictures - but those are good summer projects.  Summer, children, and nails in the floor are always a good mix!

I'm realizing more and more that I love being a homemaker. That is SO not an avant-garde thing to say and I'm sure feminists everywhere would shudder, but I love making my house feel more comfortable and providing a place where my family can find peace and be a little better. Is that nuts? Perhaps - but it's my nuts and I enjoy doing it.

Oh - but I was going to ask for HELP and I've digressed!  I mean, I found a great "help" song to accompany the post and everything - how could I have forgotten?

Riddle me this?  It's the end of the school year (you might have remembered me mentioning that a few paragraphs ago) and I've been getting all the end of year teacher's gifts ready.  I like to get them nice things that they don't already have around - and NOTHING apple-y. Ohmystars - they are not orchard tenders - they are educators.

And so that stuff is (mostly) set. But what about folks like dance teachers and piano teachers? Do you usually get those individuals things at the end of the year?

I ask because I have always gotten the dance teachers things at the end of the year, and never once have they acknowledged it. No thank you, etc.  Am I doing the wrong thing? I notice no one else sends anything in and they look at me like I'm wonky when I do.  I'd think they'd come out and say "thanks."  The last two years, one of the teachers has told my girls, "Just put that over there."

I don't want to appear ungrateful - I am grateful for the business they provide - but they are being paid (rather handsomely) for their service. And if they seemed like they enjoyed the gifts or eeeeever mentioned it, it'd seem more special. But for now, it seems like a duty and as they aren't ever commenting, I'm wondering - am I off the hook?  Or should I downscale? Make cookies or something less pricey? Last year I got them dinner out - the year before, they got pedicures...those are examples of the things I've been getting for them...is that too much? Is that what I'm doing wrong? Am I embarrassing them with the "wrong" types of gifts?


hmmmm - HELP!

(OK - everyone help me FAST because I need to post about the argument at book club and for that post, I need to play my great Kung Fu Fighting song, and I don't want y'all to miss either jammin' tune!)

4 comments:

MNBandMom said...

I don't know if you'll like this idea or not but the girls' recital was last night and they gave Wendy ( the teacher ) a card that said they would miss her and a packet of FORGET ME NOT seeds. Simple but cute in my opinion. I did the same for my co-workers this year.


We just cannot afford to give lavish gifts to all the people that help shape our kids' lives. I do think people like to be acknowledged and that can be done without having to donate a kidney ( unless you're in a REAL giving mood ).

Cherylyn said...

Since you are paying them rather handsomely, AND they don't show any gratitude whatsoever for you going above and beyond, I don't see any reason why you should put yourself out this year in giving them amazing A-Dawg gifts...that's the mean nasty C-Dawg talking, and given the right time and day, it would mean that those teachers would get NOTHIN'....but I know that deep down we want to be above all that...so I think something small and effortless on your part is A-OK too...or nothing is good too...hmmmm...I'm not helping am I?

Hurry Hurry...I NEED to hear about the fight at book club!

Cherylyn said...

P.S. The paint job look GRRRRRRRRREAT (to be read in your best Tony the Tiger voice)...love the color.

Mama said...

THANKS HOMEYS!!!!

I love love loooove the forget-me-nots idea. Totally stealing that one.

And I should clarify - I pay these folks very well for the recital. (Jackie Oh can attest to that.) But week to week, it's pretty cheap. I just figured I should come clean...

The girls made handmade cards and I called it a day. The recital waaaaaas lovely and I have a few pictures from the rehearsal up on the other site, if you're interested.

I'll blog about the book club fight soon, I promise. Life suddenly got crazier and I'm off to go babysit for a friend now.