CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 23, 2008

Cuz we are living in a material world




I'll admit it. I like stuff.  I'm not really a material girl, but I do love some of my loot.  A lot.

I have some jewelry that I love.  I mean LOVE love.  I got a ring a while back that all the kids knew about and kept a secret and I often wear it instead of my wedding ring. I love it because it was gotten for me by everyone and it was a total shock.  Oh, and I love it because it is gorgeous. It's a favorite possession of mine.  An equally favorite possession is the giant jewelry armoire it goes in.  Thanks, Mr. Mormon!

I have many pieces of children's art that are treasures to me.  I have my kids' art all over my home and some of it is even framed and hanging on the walls.  Kid art is candy coated preciousness to me.  I'm staring at a red paper plate crab now, complete with googly eyes, that I think should be in the Met.  

I also love my car.  My friend calls it KIT from Knight Rider because it can do anything.  She got upset one day when *I* messed up and used the wrong voice command and it didn't reinterpret what I meant and do it anyway.  She said it should have read our minds - he he.  Anyway - I love its blackness and shininess and sun roofs and how the OnStar folks call me Mr. Hillis.  I love me some sun on my head - at least when there is air conditioning blasting on my face.

So - why am I sharing this?  I was thinking - if I had to choose a prized possession, what would it be?  My scriptures I've had for 10 years that have traveled all over with me and are well marked and falling apart and have seen me through lots of trials?  My dining room table that I think has the smooshiest chairs out there?   My hammered aluminum lovingly given to me by family members that makes me so happy every time I put appetizers on it?

I guess overall, my most prized possession (and of course, I'm excluding relationships and people from this category) is probably my home in its entirety.  Does that count as one possession? Or have I broken the rules? But, while my home isn't perfect, it makes me happy and all the little things in it have a lot of meaning to me.  

And if we deem that one can't claim one's home in its entirety as a favorite possession, then, I guess I'm an equal opportunity lover of all my stuff and have no favorite.  I don't want them to get jealous of  each other and wreak havoc one day when I step out.  Ya know?

Care to share? What is your prized possession? Do you have one?  Do you care? Are you so un-materialistic, you are embarrassed by my wanton love of stuff?  (If you are  - then you must not have known me for long!  har!!!)

13 comments:

Mr. Mormon said...

Alright, you're 80's TV referencing license is hereby suspended for a period of no less then 7 days.

KITT (two Ts) - Knight Industries Two Thousand

MNBandMom said...

MM glares at Mr. Mormon and says " way to get into the spirit of the ASSIGNMENT dude ....no HOUSE for you for 1 month!!"

I have saved most of my kids drawings to the point where it's almost ridiculous. I am horribly sentimental and finally was convinced to throw away the shirt I wore the day Jag proposed to me ( My oldest informed me it was hideous 0_0 ). I have the dress from our first date though!!

I love old pictures - especially of children. I love pictures of when my parents were kids or when their parents were kids.

I also have many of my Grandma Genny's old cookbooks and I love looking through those.

Mama said...

Mr. Mormon - don't you know the commandments of the blog?

#1 Thou shalt not be sanctimonious.

Ask Drama-O if you need clarification. :)

MM - those sound like lovely things to cherish. You simply must post pictures of the first date dress!!!!! You know Jackie and I would be all over that like AquaNet on 1980s hair. :)

MNBandMom said...

You guys would mock me til the cows came home......

Mama said...

ummmmm

DUH!

POSTPOSTPOSTPOSTPOST

MNBandMom said...

Like I know how to operate a digital and like I know how to load and post it??

DUH! You are soooooooooooo not getting it!

Mama said...

You're the kind of mom who wouldn't know how to work a digital camera but would let her 10-year-old shave her legs. sigh

Carrot Jello said...

You served appetizers on "hammered aluminum"? I'll have to try that. How about hammered aluminum foil? No, wait. The appetizers would fall off. I'll have to get some sturdy aluminum. What shape is yours in?
I'm going to go the good mom route and say my prized possesions are my children.
That should earn me some points.

MNBandMom said...

But Carrot, Mama said in her first entry those "items" ( ie friends, kids, spouses ) were a given. Fess up and admit you love that potholder your neighbor made for you.

Jackie-Oh Cleaver said...

I am loathe to answer this because you will know how dull and uninteresting I have become in my old age. Well, that won't be a big surprise to Mama! But, at the risk of being dull and uninteresting and just plain pathetic (!), I will give this a shot. Feel free to laugh, snort, roll your eyes and just have a rip snortin' time - it's all right.

I have thought and thought and thought about what it is I would grab if I had to run out of my home, never to return, so I would have an idea of what is extra special to me, and honestly, there is nothing. Well, maybe the cat but she's pretty bulky and would not go willingly so maybe she would be left. Once upon a time, I was a collector and a hoarder and this would have been a problem for me 'cuz I had stuff, I loved stuff, and stuff was going with me. In the last few years, I cannot tell you how much stuff I have thrown away. Oh sure, my pins are still safely tucked away, and the collection is added to, periodically, and worn, pretty often, but I wouldn't snatch them up to run. Well, basically because they would be too heavy to carry, if I was running! Geesh . . . out of control. There are books I love and reread and reread but they would be left. The milk glass was discarded several years ago and I thought I adored that. I have family pictures stored on the computer so they could be retrieved. And that was what I came up with: most of my stuff could be replaced or done away with. Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic.

But this is what I do collect: memories and words - I adore the English language and I am a collector of words. And the sweet memories of grandchildren and trips and family times and a beloved Cocker Spaniel- those are some of the things I've collected and I would never want to lose.

Mama said...

awww - that's so nice to say for an old hag!

And it really allows me to no longer buy you anything again - evaaaaaaaah.

SCORE!

I love words, too. Brevity annoys me. :)

Speaking of pictures, my friend had all her photos of her kids (they are very young) on her computer and never put them on a CD. Her home was broken into and her computer stolen and she has no baby pictures anymore. She was able to get a few through family members.

Jackie-Oh Cleaver said...

You WILL buy me things - I will just decide how long they are kept. Geesh - who taught you the "Daughter Rules"?

I keep pictures in places that are out on the web and not in my mailbox folders, exclusively. We've lost a couple of computers to death-diving crashes, and I learned my lesson pretty fast. I even lost, TWICE, Abby's silver cup patterns. Augh! They are in three or four places, now, and one of those places is on paper, handwritten in ink, in the desk.

Mama said...

ha ha -if all else fails - ink and paper!