CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 15, 2008

You know you're a a native when...


...you differentiate between your sunburns and know when you have a good one versus a bad one.


When your skin is red with a pink hue - bad burn. It's not going to last and it will hurt.  You're probably candy caning, too (not tan all over.)  For some reason, candy caning and red/pink burns go hand in hand.

When your skin is red with a brown hue - good burn. It won't hurt a smidge and you'll look great tomorrow.

Getting tons of sun is not good.  I've lived with the Radiated Mormon long enough to know the risks and dangers of sun exposure.  By all accounts, I should hole up and never come out in the sun. 

But!

See - I love the warmth of it. I love to have a smidge of a burn. I love that feeling of warm skin with a breeze across your back. I love the smell of suntan lotion and the feeling of cold sand as your toes dig deeper in to cool off at the beach.   I love the sound of birds over waves while you are reading a mindless book.  

During my senior year of high school, I missed one day of school per week.  It was my little reward to myself. I used that time to go to the beach and work on my thoroughly bodacious tan. Until last summer, it was the only time in life I remember being really REALLY tan.  Those were really precious days.  Snoozing on the beach by myself and knowing it was the last time in life that things would be that easy and peaceful - ahhh....

It was 89 here today when I left the pool.  Felt more like the low 80s.  Amazingly gorgeous and  breezy and basically, perfection. I loved being there with my kids. Simple simple simple thing that makes me happy happy happy.

Now, let's go see what kind of burn miniMormon 3.0 has. I applied SPF 70 twice in 3 hours.  dum dum duuuuuuuuuuuuuum

7 comments:

MNBandMom said...

I was so so so meant to be a sunshine girl!! God planted me in the wrong area of the country that's for sure!! I am pastey white and look unhealthy right now - it's so fun to go try on clothes in the stores looking like Andy Warhol.

I envy your "burn almost tan"

Mama said...

The fake n bake is your friend in the winter. :)

MNBandMom said...

I'm gonna do it! It never even crossed my mind to do that ( I suspect my practicality gene was blocking the idea )

Mama said...

I regularly unpracticalize you.

First - a facial. Now, the fake n bake.

Next, you'll get a sun roof in your car!!

MNBandMom said...

You are good for me - this much I know. What exactly do I do for you?? I can't really send you snow and ice..... I shall ponder this.

Mama said...

You are my friend who is good for lots of things!

Like dermatological problems, for instance. That time you (mama sniffles) gnawed the hairy mole off my back when I couldn't afford my co-pay to have it removed (weep) - you were the wind beneath my wings right then.

You lift me up, mon.

MNBandMom said...

Sniff - you remembered!! I was so honored you let me do that!!!


I would like to send you my youngest as a token of my gratitude. She is in a mood today.