CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Never say never


When I imagined myself as a wife and mother, of course, I had some specific images in my mind of how that would look.

It was something between my own mom, Donna Reed (a close second to my own mom) and Mrs. Munster. How could I go wrong with a vision like that?

Generally speaking, my life doesn't look a ton like any of those women's. Most sadly, meal time doesn't look as much like the feasts my mother put on each night. We eat out a ton more than my mom ever did and I don't always have 2 side dishes, a meat, and angel biscuits.

Worst of all...and this is bad....I've taken to, for many meals....

eating on paper plates.

It feels good to get that off my chest.  It's not every meal. And it's almost never for dinner, but it has happened.  Delivery pizza + paper plates = a mother's happy Friday night.  And if my kids are eating and I am not (I'm leaving to go out with Mr. Mormon and there's a sitter), ohhhh, those kiddos will be eating on paper plates.  

From everything I can tell, neither my mother, Donna Reed nor Mrs. Munster ever used paper plates.  Both my mother and Mrs. Munster used a cauldron, but that's another story.

At first, I felt like a failure as a mom for paper plate participation.  I felt like a loser that I couldn't keep up with a DISHWASHER. I mean, it's not like I'm taking theses plates out to the pond and cleaning them. I put them in a machine, close the door, and call it breakfast.

But as time has gone on, I have come to realize the beauty of the paper plate.  In the morning, I can have the kitchen cleaned in seconds. There are never breakfast dishes piled up - because there are no breakfast dishes.  Also, the kids can easily set the table in the morning!  Even 3.0 can grab paper plates from the bottom of the pantry and put one out for each sister.

Sure, I'm hurting the environment and my children will have memories of eating on cardboard, but it's not like I use them for every meal and they do get real silverware.  That counts for something.  But I know the truth, my kids will not remember all the good things I've done - they will remember breakfast and lunch on paper plates. It's not that bad, right? It's not as low-level as, say, using your slightly damp towel from the shower to wipe off the piano as you pass it by on your way to the laundry room, thereby saving yourself one thing to dust later.  Not that I do that regularly - just - you know - it could happen...

12 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

I don't think I can be your friend anymore.

Mama said...

I don't blame you.

I'm also now out of the running for Mother-Of-The-Year. weep

Cherylyn said...

I wanted to be Donna Reed too!!! I always do delivery pizza on paper plates without question. I had never eaten kraft mac and cheese until I went to college. My mom always made it from scratch, and the first time poured that fluorescent orange powdered cheese in the pan for Clark...I felt a little like a failure...but have since gotten over it after numerous kraft mac and cheese experiences :-)

MNBandMom said...

I'm with Fob - you are no longer someone I can associate with. MM rips the MOM merit badges off Mama's sash.

Mama said...

Clearly, my only friend here is Cherylyn.

Want a paper plate for that Easy Mac, C-Dawg?

MNBandMom said...

Well next you'll be saying you don't make your own macaroni salad for gatherings and you buy it instead....

0_0

Mama said...

weeeeeeeeeep

I'm a looooooooooooooser!

MNBandMom said...

Oh come on...it's not that bad!! It's not like you fed a bunch of horrible foods ( ie peanuts, corn etc ) to someone with a colon problem. Now THAT would be mean.


Just sayin!!

Drama "O" said...

Dixie makes some real nice looking paper plates.
Have you seen the patterns lately ?
Beats Corelle anyday.
I figure I am brightening up my childrens day by using them therefore ... it's a "Good Thing".

MNBandMom said...

Mitty is the MARTHA STEWART of her block....it's a good thing ;)

Mama said...

That's a riot about the Dixie plates, Styro Stewart. Those patterns are right nice.

Cherylyn's fixing to come to dinner here in an hour, and I seriously thought about serving her homemade mac n cheese but on paper plates. It would be our 2 worlds colliding. :)

MM - you are dead to me for mocking me nearly killing my husband. Who was to know a simple Father's Day meal would send him to the hospital? weep It was ALL of his favorite foods. That should count for something.

MNBandMom said...

I'm sorry...I can NOT hear you over JACK and DIANE playing on your play thingie.

You, madam, are DTM