CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 9, 2008

This week in...


...Good Book/Bad Book, we'll explore a couple of lovelies. Feel free to share your opinions.

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

I so wanted to love it. I didn't hate it. No - definitely no hate or even strong dislike of the book. But I wasn't as passionate about it as I thought I'd be. The idea is fresh(ish) and funny, but it's so overwritten, in my opinion. There's almost too much (often esoteric) humor per page. In my fiction, I don't enjoy half page footnotes in 4-point font found regularly in a chapter. That kind of writing made it difficult to read.

But all in all, it was funnish and the approach was intelligent. Basically, an angel and a demon work together to try to stop the Apocalypse. They discuss the pitfalls and greatnesses of humanity and the fight between good and evil. Cute premise, but I preferred The Screwtape Letters, but that's just me.

I give the book 4 miniMormons.

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Fun and a good teen read. In my youth, I summarily dismissed anything fantasy or sci-fi and am learning, there's a bit of it that I really enjoy. This book fell into that category. It's fast and entertaining and addresses womanhood's age-old wonderment - just exactly how cool would it be to be completely and utterly gorgeous with no cares in the world?

I'm not sure if I agree with the author's (tacit) assertion that it might not rock - ergo - I still have my application in to Extreme Makeover. It's best to cover one's bases.

I give this book 4.5 miniMormons (upon consideration that it is a teen book.)

I've read Pretties (the next book in the Uglies series) and am currently reading Specials. I've not enjoyed either nearly as much Uglies, but they're still a solidly good way to spend some time in the school car lines. I give them each the Mama-school-pick-up-read seal of approval.

Stay tuned for our next installment where I review Eat, Pray, Love. In an attempt at full disclosure, I feel I should share that I'm pretty determined to try to hate it.

5 comments:

MNBandMom said...

I bought Rach UGLIES and hopefully she'll read it over our vacation :)

I just finished THE WINNER by David Baldacci -- I give it a 300 thread count out of a possible 500. It's not great literature but for what it is, it's gripping and a really intriguing mystery. A great "lay by the pool" book.

Mama said...

Good to know - THANKS!!!

Uglies and that vampire book are like that. You're not going to be a better person from having read them - but you'll have escaped and giggled and there's a lot of merit to that at times.

:)

MNBandMom said...

How sad is it to hurriedly grab a book on the way to the hospital this am..... to sit in the waiting room and read a good portion of it...only to stop and say " this seems familiar...."

0_0

I had already read the book and had no memory of it. *weep* Hand me a paper plate with some lasagne on it please.

Mama said...

Should've grabbed Rach's vampire book. It's perfect waiting room reading.

MNBandMom said...

I sooooooooo should have mon!!


Instead I grabbed CASE HISTORIES and it was a rerun!!

Tell Shawn the Anestesia guy ( spelling? ) and I bonded over a discussion about HOUSE.