CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Tell me whatcha want, whatcha really really waaaant...




I love the song Dream Big. I found it on a couple's blog - they are trying to adopt and from all the looks of it, will just make wonderful parents. Kudos to them. Since I heard it there, I've added it to my own playlist and am starting to think of it as my anthem. Anthem of the month that is. I'm fickle - I know it will change.

Anyhoo - I like the message of the song that you can dream big things. Really - for the most part, what does it hurt to dream big?

Sometimes, living life and being productive hinders you from pursuing your own dreams. College loans and marriage and kids and health issues and spouse concerns and job struggles sometimes cause us to adjust our dreams and plans a smidge. And frankly, that's as it should be. If we all did exactly what we wanted all the time, we'd not only be selfish, but we'd be denying ourselves the right to a mid-life crisis.

Most of us haven't dreamt anything huge since we were little. I was thinking back today on what I thought my life would be when I was older - and what I thought I'd be doing. I've been thinking about my 12-(or so) year-old-self's dream life.

I thought I'd be a concert pianist - or some type of musical performer.

I thought my husband would dote on me and treat me like a queen and I'd be the envy of all my friends.

I believed I'd have this fabulous musical career in the evening, after tucking my gorgeous and well-mannered (and slightly above-average) children into bed every night. Their father would read in the study while I counted the standing ovations.

I imagined I'd be a philanthropist of some sort. I'd use all my gobs of money to help others.

I thought I'd have a nanny. (And I hoped she wouldn't woo my husband while he was reading in the study during my ovations!)

Remembering what I wanted when I was a child, I realize, goshdarnit, I have a lot of it!! I'm not a musical performer, but it didn't take me long to know I did NOT want that! ARGH - what was I thinking? It's not all Liberace and Celine Dion. It's a lot of nightclubs and smoke in your face.

I have a fab husband and great kids. I'm living the dream there. There's no study - but we DO have bookshelves from IKEA and a pool table. Close enough.

I don't write cardboard checks out to universities and have hospital wings named after me, but I do volunteer. Right now, it's just people in my ward and at my children's school, but I am using my time to help make others feel glad. And that's very right for me.

I don't have a nanny, but I do watch Super Nanny.

I'll try to think of other ambitions I had as a child and see if they've come to fruition. So many are stuffed deep down, it's hard to remember, really. But all in all, it's a good life with a lot of "dreams come true." You? What were your hopes and wishes as a kid?

7 comments:

MNBandMom said...

Bravo!! You're most inspiring blog entry to date!! I especially love the line about having a midlife crisis.

I wanted to go to Paris but I got Holland instead. I may not have the Eiffel Tower but I get some awesome tulips.

Mama said...

Thanks!

I wanted a chauffeur, but I got On Star. :)

MNBandMom said...

I don't remember having too many dreams. Life sort of was in THE NOW when I was a kid. I did know I wanted to be married and have kids. Beyond that, I didn't think about much more than that so my life has surpassed anything I could have imagined.

Mama said...

I used to imagine loads of things I'd do with my life. But even then I knew a lot of them were really dreamy.

I wanted to go to an Ivy League school very desperately. That would probably be one of my life's biggest regrets EXCEPT that if I hadn't gone where I did, I wouldn't have met Mr. Mormon - the most perfect spouse on the planet.

MNBandMom said...

I honestly never dreamed of stuff like that - I'm starting to feel inferior even as a day dreamer here!! I dreamed only of having a family.

Mama said...

Ahh - I dreamed of having a family, but I thought of other stuff....my life as a dolphin trainer...being an interpreter for the UN....ohhh, it seemed I always had a hope for my future.

You're insanely practical. Sounds like even as a kid you were!

MNBandMom said...

No - I was a day dreamer but not about what I would be when I grew up. To illustrate it to you.....I never really wanted to go to college but my parents told me early on ( like as a little kid ) that I would. My Mom wanted me to be a nurse and I knew for sure that was NOT for me but beyond that, I truly didn't care. I was content to marry a boy in my local area and have kids.

At age 18, I applied for college but had no real idea of what I wanted to do - I did declare ( prepare yourself ) a major in special ed ( ironic huh:? ) mainly because it sounded good and kept people off my back.

In the spring of my freshman year, I met some folks in the social work dept and decided that it was a better fit for me ( still not knowing what I would emphasize in or focus on ). I did choose to emphasize in child and family welfare because...it sounded good and kept people off my back.

I sort of "landed" into the right job after college ...again without any planning or focus on where I was going.


You might ask " but didn't you go on to get your Master's?" Well, that's another story too. My friend wanted her Master's and wanted someone to carpool with so......I got my Master's ( and she didn't 0_0 ).

Even my relationship with Jag was a fly by the seat of my pants deal. I had no idea where our future was going but I was ready to drop everything and go with him anywhere.

So, not really practical....just nuts.