CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 10, 2008

I think I can I think I can...

Mr. Mormon and I are in some serious need of r and r. (No - not "rhythm and rioting" - "rest and relaxation"!) Vacations are pricey and we are already going on a few this year. But we wanted to do something now. Something quick, inexpensive, and that will bond the family in memories is what we've had in mind.

While we are so in love for cruises, there's only so many of those one can do in a year. And it's still a little nippy in Florida some days to have a beach getaway. (Although last week, it was 87!!)

What's a family of vacation-starved, fiscally-minded Mormons to do?



thud

That's right. We're a-camping.

We are thinking the purchase of all the equipment counts as shoring up our emergency preparedness materials. And we'll be camping at Ft. Wilderness (out at Disney), so if (when) I cannot figure out how to cook over a fire, I can take a quick drive to tourist-ville and commandeer us some grub.

We got tents and lanterns and things last night, and frankly, if the kind of folks who shop in the Wal Mart camping area share a site with us, I will run for my life. I've never seen so many tattoos, mullets, and ammunition requests in all my days. It was like being at a Legion. (Juuuuuust kidding, Drama - seeing if you're paying attention, there!)

If anyone has any great camp-food recipes, I'm game. I figured one day I can make chili and another can be tin-foil dinners. We'll have a grill, so some grilled chicken or burgers sounds about right, too.

Although I've become as citified as a girl can be, I did grow up camping, and I hope it will come back to me. I used to love waking up on a mountain in some far-away city and hearing everyone start up their day. I guess we'll see if I've got it in my to re-commune with nature. If nothing else, the car has A/C and XM radio.

20 comments:

Momijimanjyu said...

You are camping at Disney????????? llllllllllooooooooollllllllllllll thats not camping!!! You can just hop down to get some grub no need to bulid a fire. If ya have to build a fire make smores!!!

Unknown said...

LOL, Mama... come camping in MY woods!

Have fun.

MNBandMom said...

I ammmmmmmmmm soo sooo sooo not a camper ...that said.... I would buy those Reynold's tinfoil bags and take those babies. Pre-slice green peppers, onions, mushrooms or whatever veggies you like and grill them over the fire ( Pam cooking spray with olive oil seems a must here ).

Mama said...

Baby steps, girls - baby camping steps!!

We used to do more "real" camping when I was a kid - not building a latrine - but certainly no campfires where you can buy your smores pre-made like ya can at Disney.

But there could be BUGS! Or - MAN MULLETS!

Mr. Mormon said...

Mr. Morman's idea of roughing it:

No WiFI

Mr. Mormon's idea of truly inhospitable conditions:

No A/C

This should be interesting.... O_O

Mama said...

I'm a tin foil dinner pro, MM from those 11-year-old day camps I had to put on. :) So I'm not scared there.

But now that I'm thinking more about my menus - chili and sleeping in tents might not be a good idea.

0_0

We'll see if I'm a camper. I bet I could be. I used to like it as a kid - we'll see what I remember!

Mama said...

Dude - your idea of roughing it is no valet parking.

Admit it.

MNBandMom said...

You mean it isn't?

Momijimanjyu said...

Are you talking about this?? http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resorts/resortLanding?id=FortWildernessCampgroundResortLandingPage&count=30

They got food and everything. LOL

You might as well get the cabin or go down to the All Star resorts. They are cheap. lol We stayed at All Star Music. Pretty dang groovy!

Mama said...

Well, yes, technically they have food. But being the cheap mama I am, I don't usually pay $11 a person for breakfast, so we'll be doing a mix of some eating out and some cooking.

Hey Momi - do they have a Ft. Wilderness type of place at Disneyland?

And YEAH - it's cheaper to stay at the cheapie Disney resorts than to camp there. (Cabins are way booked up far out, it seems.) Of course, everything is about 5 times the normal price when you're at Disney. But we thought it was a good first try. In the woods, but not all alone - just you, some black bears, and the random poisonous snake. At least here, we've got a smidge of civilization.

MM - you think I'm kidding about him and the valet. Mr. Mormon is more citified than ME!

Momijimanjyu said...

Just say you are a CM and you forgot your ID. Do the wink and smile bit. LOL

Ohh wait @ WDW they have the computers that run your SS# if you dont have ID. Nevermind!!! Could of had a discount. LOL

No wilderness @ DL. Theres Disneys Grand Californian thats woodsy looking but its all hotel.

MNBandMom said...

Mr. Mormon can do no wrong in my eyes...la la la la la I can't hear you.... The man is Daniel Boone!! He rips the skin off raccoons with his teeth!!

Mama said...

lol at your CM comments, Momi. I remember doing the wink wink bit, but I WAS a CM. :)

MM - the man CAN camp and CAN make any kind of knot you name and CAN cook over an open fire...but he'd rather, well, take a nap.

MNBandMom said...

Jed Clampett meets Armani?

Mama said...

More like Eagle Scout meets Armani, and yup - there ya have 'em.

Nice boy - can do rustic things technically - but is NOT outdoorsy. (Him and the knots - every time he has to tie a knot to secure something, I have to hear, "This is a half hitch blah blah with a dohickey."

Smile and nod.

Unknown said...

I bet camp Disney even has wifi!

:)

Mr. Mormon said...

Not sure about WiFi, but... they do have cable TV and cable internet access in the preferred campsites. Not just the cabins, but the actual campsites! I guess I'll just have to bring my own wireless router and extended range antenna.

Mama said...

Dude - I just checked out your profile.

0_0

Your pro wrestler move would be the brain twister. Why oh why does that not surprise me?!?!

Riddle me this - do they pay you while you play on blogs during the day?

Mr. Mormon said...

Why, yes. Yes they do.

Your tax $$ at work.

;-P

Mama said...

I think you can go to hell for blogging while on the job. It's like, commandment #12 or something.

I'm just saying....