CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 2, 2008

ahhh - What Would Hinckley Do?

I loved this little ditty from Stake Conference this month.

Some temple square workers were being picketed and hollered at by a woman. She kept yelling to the tourists for them to stay away as the Mormons were the church of the devil.

One tourist responded, "This isn't the church of the devil. I'm a member of the church of the devil, and this isn't it."

snicker

Anyway - gotta love those Westboro-folks. Equal opportunity funeral picketers.


The tens of thousands of people expected to flock downtown for President Gordon B. Hinckley's funeral Saturday likely will want to avoid the southwest corner of North Temple and State Street.
Salt Lake City officials said the Westboro Baptist Church has applied for a permit for a "religious demonstration" on the corner, just one block east of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Conference Center, where President Hinckley's funeral will be held. The permit was in the process of being approved Wednesday afternoon, said Shawn McDonough, the city's special events administrator.

A handful of members of the church, based in Topeka, Kan., plan to stage a quiet protest during the funeral, displaying picket signs criticizing the late LDS Church leader for being a "lying false prophet" and "leading millions of people astray," said Shirley Phelps-Roper, Westboro Baptist Church spokeswoman and daughter of Pastor Fred Phelps.

Westboro Baptist Church members have picketed several military funerals and other memorial services, saying that the war in Iraq and tragedies such as the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks are God's punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.

Phelps-Roper also criticized President Hinckley for being too accepting of homosexuals, accusing him of having an "ambiguous voice" about the gay lifestyle rather than taking a firm stand against it.

10 comments:

MNBandMom said...

You know...some people are just so bad not even a dung beetle would touch em!! I'm sorry there are flockheads out there that feel it necessary to harass the good people of the Mormon church. May God have mercy on their souls.

MNBandMom said...

Oh and one other thing...we sort of meg on the Phelps wackos. Remember they were up here in my city protesting at Peter Hausman's funeral?? We meg in wack job hell Mama!

Mama said...

They are iiiiiiinsane.

Didn't you love that line about the church of the devil? FUNNY!

I'm going to the pool. It's hot. 0_0

MNBandMom said...

They're beyond insane - they're cruel and just plain ole mean. Go the pool and socialize with the other satanic worshippers Mama ( remember, Phelps thinks my church is devil incarnate )

Momijimanjyu said...

I missed watching the funeral. Waaaa

Mama said...

Momi - I think it'll be re-run on BYU-TV. I had to stop watching b/c I was bawling just as his family passed by. I said to Mr. Mormon I wondered what it was like to share your grief with so many and he pointed out that they were probably used to it since they'd shared him with the world his whole life....that sent me into tears.

So, I suggested we go to the pool instead. I'm planning to watch it later tonight.

MM - I didn't see any Satan worshippers at the pool - but I did see what Kahlik's husband would look like with long hair. DANG - he was Mr. Kahlik's TWIN!!!

Momijimanjyu said...

Yeah thats why I dont want to watch it. LOL

I will sob like a baby.

MNBandMom said...

Maybe Mr. Kahlik has clones out there!!! Maybe there's a Florida Kahlik in the pool waiting for him to dive in!!!

wickle said...

Loved the tourists comment,lol!

Momijimanjyu said...

Hey I got an email from my ward email lady that 60 Minutes is doing a segment/special on Hinkley tonight.