CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Best friends

Every year on Valentine's Eve, I decorate my kids' doors like this.





They wake up and read those hearts, which tell them some of the many reasons why I love them

Awwww - aren't we Mormons so dang cute?

This morning, Mr. Mormon and I woke up to this.



Picture me weepy.

I LOVED IT! My middle miniMormon (2.0) had this little surprise completed pre-6:30 am. She cut up hearts (in the laundry room, so she wouldn't wake anyone up with the light) and wrote on them why she loves her parents.

Yes - I know, I have the best kids in the entire world. But wait - there's more.

Her hearts said things like, "You make me happy," "I love you," and "You SHINE!" I never pictured myself as luminescent, but groovy - I'll take it. My favorite heart said, "You are my best friend."

I hope I am my kids' best friend. Now, I know that's not popular to say, but hear me out.

There's this rationale I've never completely bought in to, but I'm sure I've uttered something like unto it because it's a popular sentiment and heck, I like to be cool. The sentiment is effectively that you can't be a parent AND a friend to your child.

I'd like to challenge that. It's probably an aversion to the semantics, but I don't like the phrase. I hope to be a parent and my child's best friend.

A best friend is a precious thing. I'm not sure my girls will always call me their best friend - I'm not even sure after today 2.0 will consider me her best friend, but I hope she will. A best friend will tell you loads of nice things about yourself and will be your confidante. But a best friend will also tell you the harsh stuff. My good friend was recently playing the cello at church. She said to me, "I know everyone will tell me it was great - but we're close. Could you please tell me the honest truth if you hear a bad note - I keep messing up in this one spot (blah blah blah)" She wanted the truth - she wanted to know if it was noticeable. A best friend will tell you when you're messing up, but they'll still love the performance.

A best friend will tell you, "You need the Mandy Moore haircut" and will still love you when you don't get it and will be just as excited when you DO get it. A best friend will tell you you need bangs and highlights, but will understand you can't keep up with highlights right now and will love your too dark hair and shiny forehead.

A best friend will tell you you're acting like a twerp or that you need to work harder in an area. S/he also won't freak when you mess up, but won't sugar coat it, either.

A best friend can give you the real truth about yourself and you know they love you for it or in spite of it.. So, I hope I am my kids' best friend. Or if not me, maybe Mr. Mormon. He's a good best friend to have around. He doesn't need highlights and his forehead is just fine. For now.

4 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

I also disagree with that popular sentiment. The idea behind it--that you shouldn't sacrifice being a parent in order to be the best friend--is valid, but it's not necessary to give up the one to be the other.

MNBandMom said...

Quote: A best friend will tell you, "You need the Mandy Moore haircut" and will still love you when you don't get it and will be just as excited when you DO get it. A best friend will tell you you need bangs and highlights, but will understand you can't keep up with highlights right now and will love your too dark hair and shiny forehead - Unquote....


FLOCKING SNIFF!!!


Very moving post!! That Mads is something else!

Mama said...

Amen, Fob.

And yes MM - isn't that kid a keeper?

Anonymous said...

awww... 2.0 has restored my faith in children! ::weep:: weep::: It's almost as cute as a puppy!