CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mama and New Mama bond

Last night I went to visit my young friend who is  16 (17 next month) who is having a baby.

I don't know where to begin.  So, I'll start with the front porch.  And the menagerie of plastic animals and garbage in the yard and her biological mother who, along with her boyfriend, live in the shed next to the house but aren't "allowed" to go inside expect to use the restroom. 

She let me in - I had been warned she wouldn't - so I was immediately excited.  She was warm and gracious and was baking her friend a birthday cake.  She is really a darling girl and I told her I've missed her since I got the axe outta Young Women's.  We chit chatted a lot and fell into an easy pattern of just sharing and talking.

But it was hard to not notice the filth.  Dog feces, ants, rooms filled with junk to the ceiling...but New Mama had "cleaned" (a young person's version of cleaning - ya know?)  the living room, family room and kitchen and I could tell her pregnancy enthusiasm was lighting a fire under her to make some changes in her world. 

We talked about school and how all of that will work out and she showed me ultrasound pictures.  We talked about where she'd live and what she plans to do for money (she plans to become a cosmetologist and make $1300 a week and to live with her dad forever because he will be too lonely without her and he loves kids.)  

She believes she and her son can be a success because many of her neighbors were teen mothers who managed to "make it work." She told me she knows she and her son won't be featured on the cover of a Parenting, but she doesn't think that means he can't know he is loved and that she won't be a great mom.  

New Mama said to me, "My mom was never really around, but I always knew my dad loved me. We were unconventional, but we made it work and I know I can make it work with my son, too."  I wish those types of sentences had been placed in her paragraphs in such a way that I could get a word in to say, "Ahh, but there is so much better!  There is a more loving choice..."

There were times I literally did not know what to say. I had prayed for inspiration, but it was hard to get words out through the shock.  

She's very much in a baby honeymoon right now. She's got so many books on pregnancy, she's already met with a lactation consultant (she isn't due until November - phew), she has a stroller and car seat and a diaper service all lined up.  There are little baby clothes and tiny cowboy boots sitting out.  She was absolutely GLOWING about this pregnancy. I think that shocked me. I  didn't expect her to be so over-the-moon thrilled. It was hard not to get caught up in her euphoria.

She thinks it can all work.  She is very convincing and gets you to believe it too - even as you are staring at a pile of laundry that literally goes to the ceiling.  It's hard to love someone so much and be so shockingly appalled at what she thinks will work.  Heaven help us all through this. I don't know how she cannot be confused and disoriented, because I am.

I didn't broach the subject of adoption as my main purpose was trying to get to know her again. I am hopeful I will have the chance.  I did write this to Mrs. R earlier today.  


I am having a greater realization for the magnitude of grace and wisdom and true love that adoption is.  I thought I knew. I didn't, really. I'm sure I still can't comprehend it completely, but placing a child for adoption really is love.  Buying car seats and play pens and knowing your child will sleep where there is feces on the floor and ants in the dog food.....that's not really the highest exemplification of love. 


God bless birth mothers who place their children for adoption.  God bless every last one of them.  

So - there's the re-cap.

Step One - love the mother and reconnect - check.

Step Two - who the heck knows?  More of the same?  Share more about adoption.  Help her learn to be a mom?  Help her clean? Explain how she needs to establish child support through the courts if she keeps this baby like she's planning to. Explain that  there will not really be a crutch through this?  Teach her how to make nutritious meals (I had to walk her through making a cake from a box yesterday.)  Sit back and wait.  Take those things in order.  I dunno...

11 comments:

MNBandMom said...

My neighbor had a "meg" experience with you yesterday Mama. *K* is a nurse with BLUE CROSS and in Minnesota, if you are poor you can get on some sort of assistance that contracts with Blue Cross. She went out on a home visit to a pregnant teen Mom ( who already has a toddler ). Her experience was the opposite - this Mom hates being a Mom but is adament she will NOT release the baby for adoption.

Is it possible.....ahhem...to bring this Mom into your home as a guest ( just to subtly let her observe how a normal family runs ) and is it possible to hook her up with adults who were adopted?

Mama said...

I think that is very possible, MM.

I am wanting so much to have her move in with me, truthfully.

I am seeing a commonality that some of these teen moms feel like they might hate this, but they need to see it thru because they "caused this mess." argh

I talked to my friend yesterday whose cousin was in a similar situation and kept the baby for 3 months before realizing she could not do it. Heck -I'd take that!

Nancy Face said...

Oh, if only teen unwed mothers understood that the greatest love they can give to their babies is to give them up for adoption...to a loving, stable couple who are prepared to be good parents, and yearning for that blessing to come into their lives.

Mama said...

Amen, Nancy.

MNBandMom said...

Mama - remember the workshop I attended that talked about emotionally immature moms?? This "Mom" needs more mothering before she can realize that it's MORE LOVING to relinquish custody of the baby.

I have faith you can mother her....

Jackie-Oh Cleaver said...

Do you have an older lady (ladies) in your ward who could be a "grandmother," to this young woman? Either Visiting Teachers or just special friends? Mothers your age, while young (!), come from a far different place than she does. But, a grandmother-type could offer advise, support, love and time, that the rest of you young moms might not have. There could be support for the young mother in so many areas of her young life, and the life of her child. And, the relationship might be a goody for the "grandmother," also.
I don't think adoption is where she's wanting to go, even though we all believe it's the best idea, probably. So - how about building an on-going, non-judgmental, support system in the form of a older lady?
Just a thought - you hold the keys, for this one, and you'll know best, ultimately.

Drama "O" said...

Quite a read Mama.

Last night I watched the show "Baby Borrowers".
It's going to be a weekly show, at least for awhile.
Teen couples were given someone elses babies for 3 days to take care of as their own.
(under the watchful eyes of the parents via cameras installed in the homes)
This involved one of the couple heading off to work each day too.

It was a valuable learning experience for all the teens involved (5 couples I think)

Some of them did amazingly well .. some had a huge change of heart after just a few hours.

Overall I would say 4 out of 5 realized they were not ready to be parents. There was one girl who I must admit seemed like a natural at it and really enjoyed the experience.

If there was a way that this young girl could actually get that experience herself, Would she still feel as strongly ?

It's going to be a busy weekend here so I want to wish you all a Happy Safe 4th now !!

Mama said...

MM - I'm glad someone is having faith, because I'm a little sketchy. She's much more "in" to this than even I was, frankly. You are so right about her needing more mothering. It sure looks like she thinks she can buy all the right stuff and have a happy baby. argh

Drama - I wonder if I can encourage her to watch Baby Borrowers? What an interesting idea for a show.

Mom - I LOVE your idea. There are only a couple of grandma types in the ward. But I do think they could swing it! You're so smart -who knew?

MNBandMom said...

Comas obviously make you smarter.

Mama said...

Apparently! Because she was SO dumb before her brain fart.

She won't read here again, right?

Jackie-Oh Cleaver said...

I'm here but not reading anything - feel free to continue you private conversation, :-)