CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Pause my player and listen...








Ever felt like a lump of coal?

Me, neither. But apparently, lesser persons get down in the dumps.

he he he

OK, I'll tell the truth. I don't like being in charge all of the time and I don't usually feel like a capable leader.  More often than not, I feel that I am not worth listening to and that folks should just shove on by and not pay me any mind.  

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about how inadequate I feel in comparison to the tasks before me. I feel like a frumpy dumpy housewife who has a giant task ahead of her to help folks feel inspired and become their best selves.  Uhhhh, are you sure you're asking the right girl for help?  Inspiring others?  Leading?  Saying something fresh and different?

Don't make me laugh!

Just last week I was moaning to Mr. Mormon that I feel so uninspiring and that I can't make a difference. He told me I underestimate myself and that I have more of an affect than I know. Of course, he also wanted me to shut up.  :)  But the next night, I saw this video and was reminded that yes -  I might be Plain Jane on the outside, but maybe even a Plain Jane regular old mom could help others find the good in themselves and want to expand that.  Especially if that regular old mom isn't all on her own in this endeavor, if ya know what I mean.

We'll see!

So thanks, Paul, for some inspiration.

7 comments:

Drama "O" said...

LOVE this video Mama !

I saw this awhile ago on YouTube but well worth watching again :)

Ohhh and yes you DO have an affect on people.

Seriously you do.

Marksmom can often be heard saying to me ...

"Ok Ethel I am in yet another jam. We need to really think about this and ask ourselves .. What would the Mormon DO ?? "

Mama said...

lol - What would the Mormon do?

She'd blog. That's what she'd do!!!

Funny - when I'm in a jam, I channel my inner Kahlik and get FEISTY. :)

Mama said...

lol - What would the Mormon do?

She'd blog. That's what she'd do!!!

Funny - when I'm in a jam, I channel my inner Kahlik and get FEISTY. :)

Mama said...

OK - no clue why that comment published twice.

But let's all choose to find those little quirks endearing, shall we?

MNBandMom said...

Shoot, often the biggest changes in life start with the "plain Janes" of the world. Mother Teresa was no super model ( thank GOD ) but look at the impact she made simply by loving people. Are you a Mother Teresa? No because you're too tall but you are someone that makes a difference George Bailey...oh yes you most certainly do!

You want to know something ....I find myself quoting you ( and many of my friends ) daily. You have impacted my life greatly ( for better or worse 0_0 ).

And yes Ethel...what WOULD the Mormon do??

Mama said...

I was thinking about what Simon says at the end of that clip (paraphrase) that it's something more to be inspiring at what you do when it's not your profession. It really spoke to me.

Being RS President isn't my profession or even my passion. But I'm trying really hard. I appreciate that others have great success in business - my husband is great at his job and I oh-so-appreciate that! But his successes are different to me in that, well, he's kind of supposed to be great at it. They are paying him a ton to be good. (It's still really really awesome, honey! I think you know what I mean.)

I try to be effective so others can be great. And I didn't sign up for something I'm passionate about - like all LDS folks, we're doing what we're asked to do. Not doing what we necessarily want to do. Therein lies the (huge fat whopping) difference.

I love the random volunteerness of my church, even though I don't always love being the random volunteer. For the most part, I'll take a room full of Pauls over paid for perfection (and I don't mean that as a slam to other churches - that is just me. I can't really see MM being a Mormon volunteer girl. OK - that whole thought even cracks me up.)

MNBandMom said...

No - I can't see myself being a Mormon volunteer girl either but I DO LOVE that your church is so good about it. I do volunteer at my own church and at the kids schools but it's on my own terms...huge difference. You hit the nail on the head with that one.