CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 13, 2008

What are you not sloppy about?

Tonight, our family had to have 

A TALK.

Some little folks's mouths were getting the best of them lately and we've had some issues with typical summer antics.  Bossiness, whining, eye rolling and hair tossing, picking fights with sisters - those types of things needed to be addressed now before they got to be too much. Now, I have to say, we have great kids - but even great kids need reminders about what the rules are.

We had a discussion over dinner about some of the unacceptable behavior and we told the kids just how fantastic they really are.  Typically, we have kids we can take anywhere and not be embarrassed. They're the kind of kids who when you say, "It's time to leave" they don't whine - they pack up - and they sit by the door patiently waiting while their mom (who talks too much) doesn't shut up for another half an hour. We know how great they are and we just needed to remind everyone of some family rules.

Nearing the conclusion of our discussion, we wanted to be sure they understood why we were talking about these things and we wanted them to know how much we love them.  We hoped they'd know that when their behavior and choices are good, we can do so much more as a family.  So we said to them, "Do you know why we are telling you these things? Why we're reminding you of the rules and how we need to behave?"  

And 1.0 said, "You're telling us this stuff because you don't run a sloppy place."

I loved that line!

In the moment, sloppy parenting is a lot easier.  And trust me, I do more than a fair amount of it. I wish I was a better mom - especially seeing as I am married to SuperDad.  If I were a better mom, I wouldn't look so pathetic in comparison.  But I do appreciate that the kids noticed that we aren't trying to be dictatorial or unkind or overbearing - we're just trying to not be sloppy in our dealings in our family.

I needed that reminder this week - to not be sloppy about what is important in life.  Thanks kids!

So, is there/was there anything you refuse(d) to be "sloppy" about?  (And my apologies to those who read the other blog.  But I thought this might be a good discussion topic!)

7 comments:

Edward Sizler said...

A SuperDad can only live with a SuperMom. That is the rule. Look it up! Duhhhhhh....

Cherylyn said...

Tanner and I had a very similar experience this week...Clark was starting to really push some buttons, and us throwing him in his room just doesn't cut it anymore, especially since he has toys in there. I told Tanner that we had just become lazy in our discipline...so I turned into Super Nanny this week. See my blog soon for the rest of the story. I am no longer sloppy about Clark's discipline!

Mama said...

Forget SuperNanny - we've got Super C-Dawg. You go girl!!!

The discipline part of parenting really keeps me on my toes. I'm constantly looking for new ideas on how to torture, I mean, discipline, the children.

Camille said...

I don't have kids old enough to ignore my disipline, yet. But I try not to be sloppy about the food I take to others. Our ward has a ton, and I mean a ton, of pitch-in dinners, baby showers, really anything to do with food. At least two events a month. Some people will stop at KFC on the way but I'm always thinking of some great new recipe I can take. Now when it comes to my own family meals, that's an entirely different story.

MNBandMom said...

Your kids are darling; plain and simple. They can do no wrong. If they do...they were provoked. Nuttin sloppy about that.

Jackie-Oh Cleaver said...

How true, MM, how true! I thought it best I not say those very words, since I'm the Gams, but it IS true! :-)

Mama said...

My kids are only good because of our code of discipline - A beating a day keeps bad attitude away!

:)

Works with marital relationships, too!