CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 5, 2009

Mama's Top Ten List of Almost New Year's Resolutions


I'm not making resolutions this year. But if I diiiiiiiid make some, they'd look about like this...


Number 10
I resolve to not sigh audibly when the crazy sisters stand up in Relief Society to bear their testimonies. Instead, I resolve to keep the sigh inside and also, to try to look engaged instead of at my feet. 

Number 9
I resolve to not have malevolent feelings to those who are inactive, but still want help moving/packing/with meals after their precious babies are born/a food order so they have more drinking money.  I know these hateful feelings only hurt me. And really, I want to hurt them.  So I will be more brave and just say, "Do you FEEL like a loser asking the Elder's Quorum to help you move since you've denounced God and all religion? Have you heard of a moving company and your family?"  

Summation: I will be more direct in my communications.

Number 8
I resolve to bring my own chalk and eraser every time I teach on Sunday, thereby keeping me from having to go in the damp, strangely flourescent-ly lit church library and beg Bro. Aficionado Talksalot to pleeeeeease hook me up with a chalk stub.  This will spare me from listening to mini-dissertations on subjects including sciatica, his new job, dog care, and other miscellany.  Additionally, this should add another 10 minutes to my Gospel Doctrine attendance and probably a year to my life.

Number 7
I resolve to have more casseroles at the ready so that I no longer need to ask anyone to deliver a meal to a needy person and can just do it myself.  Less hassle - less time on the phone begging for assistance - and less blessings for anyone but me.  WOOHOOOOOO

I might also change my name to "Sister Martyr."

Number 6
I resolve to cry less in Relief Society when I see the distress in the lives of others.  Allowing my heart to shrink 2 sizes too small will assist in that effort.

Number 5
Shrink heart.

Number 4
I resolve to babysit other people's brats, I mean, precious darlings, no more than one time a month.  (In total - not per family.)  Additionally, emergency babysitting drop offs where mothers feel that ex-husbands are going to come and try to steal the children and MIGHT have  a gun with them will no longer be entertained.

Number 3
I resolve to care less about Visiting Teaching numbers and to not let the stake/the VT Supervisor/the Bishop/sensitive sisters/my own feelings of inadequacy/my worries for these women make me go and do everyone's visits for them.* 

Instead, I will post a tasteful sign on the Relief Society bulletin board citing,  "The first time you complain about your Visiting Teaching route, I will listen and make adjustments. The second time you complain, you are the new Visiting Teaching Leader.  I no longer believe in inspiration for callings - it just goes to the one who snarks last.  Got it?"

*see Number 5 - Shrink heart.

Number 2
I resolve to pay more attention to my children and less attention to the grown women who act like children.

And Number 1
I resolve to keep on loving the weary and difficult to love and to blog off the tension with my favorite Monkey homeys!

Thanks for always hearing me out and keeping me sane, good peeps!

10 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

I'll have you know that some of us who have denounced God and all religion remain on the elders' quorum email list just so that we can be harassed about helping people move and ringing Christmas bells and driving the homeless to their shelters. Initially I did it to build up enough good karma so as not to feel guilty asking for help when I move, but I've now built up enough good karma to share with my fellow apostates, so you're no longer allowed to hate on them. This is my way of helping you fulfill one of your non-resolutions. You may thank me now.

Mama said...

Clearly, Mr. Fob, you are the type you appreciates harassment and I find that appealing. And I am glad karma is all share-y-like so that I can spare hating folks. I hadn't really wanted to.

I'm sure you've come across therandom interloper (see the above post) and start to think, "This is the gospel? Really? Or is this just a loser looking for some help and he has no pals?" So, I don't want to HATE them, but is slapping them OK?

Edward Sizler said...

Just so you don't feel alone in the world, as the ingrates attack you from all sides, here are ten responses to your ten non-resolutions. I hope they help:
10: Put your feet on the back of the pew in front of you and mumble "Oh God" under your breath. People will think you're praying.
9: I don't understand this one. You need help with your communication, clearly! heehee
8: I hear that chalk is an item that, if ingested, will cause the throat to cease up and not allow said person to talk. Definitely bring your own chalk!
7: Great idea! Bring one over tonight for me! I love your cooking!!!
6: Don't go to Relief Society. Instead, use this time to leave early and shop for chalk and/or make casseroles.
5: Seeing what you're going through, this non-resolution will happen automatically. No worries here. Besides, I think it's genetic anyway.
4: This is an easy one. Hire someone, a relative perhaps, with a gun of his own, telling them that there are crazy men trying to snatch children from your home. Be vague. The downside is that you will have to suffer through all the same indignities that you would when you were chalk hunting, as Bro. Aficionao Talksalot will be replaced by Bro. Expertis Knowsitall. Sorry. There's a big price for safety in this world.
3: Again, see #5. Addendum: Try to get the Bishop to add "Snarking" as the eight deadly sin.
2: How could ANYONE ignore those wonderful children?? Shame. Shame. Note: Nows the time to look at your feet!
1: We're here for you Sister Shrunken Heart. We love you always.

ps....Where's my darned casserole????? I know you're home. I've called and called. You're ignoring me, aren't you?? heehee
5:

Mama said...

I love you Captain Underpants. HILARIOUS!

MNBandMom said...

Most of your resolutions center around your church activities!!!


Clearly.... you are not spiritual enough.

Mama said...

Strange - yours were all about booze, MM.

0_0

MNBandMom said...

There's a meaaaaaaaaaaaan side to you

B.G. Christensen said...

Slapping is okay.

B.G. Christensen said...

It occurs to me that perhaps you should resolve to go inactive this year and demand unreasonable things of your ward, just for the sake of having more empathy of course. But think of all the casseroles and free rides!

Mama said...

Mr. Fob, I like the way you think.

Will I have to stay on the RS email list, though? I don't want to ring any Christmas bells.